No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A very sad but tasty ice cream alternative

I love dairy in all its forms, especially cheese and ice cream, but apparently it doesn't get along so well with my intestinal tract (the whey), so I've had to forgo ice cream loveliness for awhile (it could be a long summer!) as almost every variety of ice cream or sherbet I can afford has added whey or milk, though I seem to tolerate heavy cream okay and I'm not bold enough to spend actual money on a soy or other plant based alternative for fear it will be a repeat of soy cheese (ugh!).  So I've been playing around with things like fruit juice and instant pudding trying to find a decent alternative that tastes great, is easy to make (I don't own an ice cream maker), and doesn't cost a fortune.  I tried a sorbet recipe I found online but that is basically a frozen slushy, while tasty, it isn't ice cream.  But after a bit of trial and error, I think I actually found something that works, it even has the right texture and you can scoop it without having to let it thaw for 10 minutes on the counter!  Feel free to play with flavors, the possibilities are endless!

Easy Freezer Fruit 'Sherbet':

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add a small package of jello (any flavor), stir until well combined.

While waiting for your water, in a clean gallon ice cream pail with a lid combine 1 container of 100% juice juice concentrate, 1/2 cup sugar, and if desired, a dash of lemon juice and vanilla.  Add the jello mixture and stir well.  Place in the freezer until ice begins to form on the sides and top, remove and mix well.  Mix in two small containers of cool-whip until well combined and return to the freezer, stirring every 60 minutes or so, scraping the frozen stuff off the edges and bottom and mixing well.  Eventually it will be the consistency of ice cream and you'll have a nice fruity treat!  If you are using orange juice or something similar, I'd leave out the lemon or it might get too tart, almond extract makes a nice addition as well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment