No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Friday, February 21, 2014

pseudo-sesame chicken and bogus lo mein

I was once a great fan of the ubiquitous American Chinese Buffet, most especially the sesame chicken and lo mein but alas, after years of denial and conflict, I must admit that my gastrointestinal system has won the argument and I cannot consume my favorite provender without paying for it for days afterwards in the form of a vengeful tummy that refuses to be mollified.  I am not sure what the secret ingredient is that upsets my 'inner peace,' but it does not seem to matter what I eat or avoid or which restaurant I choose, the results are the same so I have had to raise the white flag and go home craving yet never satisfied, at least until I tried creating similar tastes at home with mixed results.  I have tried many recipes and concoctions of my own imaginings but have been mostly dissatisfied (but at least neutral on the gastric front).  Finally, I think I came up with something that tastes like the real thing (albeit not deep fried as I also have issues with certain fried food), at least enough for my taste, but then I may just be desperate!

You will need:

raw chicken breast (the following amounts are based on 1 pound of chicken, adjust the amounts as necessary, I use the prepackaged frozen 10-15% added broth variety but you can use whatever you prefer, you just may need to add water or broth to the sauce)

1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
1/4 teriyaki sauce
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
a dash of black pepper

optional: 1/4 cup each chopped sweet pepper and onion, 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds

1/2 bag frozen carrots (or vegetable of choice)

1 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 1/3 cup cold water

1/2 pound spaghetti noodles (use whole wheat if being healthy)

optional: more teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, and sesame oil for the noodles

How to make it:

Mix the sauce ingredients (vinegar et al), add sautéed peppers, onions, and sesame seeds if desired.  Stir and allow to sit 5 minutes while chopping the raw chicken into bite sized pieces.  Add chicken, cover, and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes (longer is better, consider all day or even overnight).  Once the chicken has finished soaking, pour the whole works into a medium saucepan and add the veggies, cover, simmer, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender.  Add the cornstarch mixture, stir, and continue cooking until mixture thickens.  Meanwhile, boil the noodles, drain.  You can mix the sauce/chicken with the noodles or season to taste and serve on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment