No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Twinkie Cupcake Disaster Trifle

I knew I shouldn't have tried baking today, what with my little micro-chef grabbing the bowl of greenish goo (that was once vegetables) and unwittingly sending it flying, but it did land right side up so the mess was only half what it might have been so maybe it is okay after all.  I haven't had a Twinkie in years, but for some reason that's what I've been craving lately so I've tried a few recipes that were pretty good, but not really worth the trouble of doing them over again.  I found this one that uses a box mix so I thought I would give it a try, I even managed to have marshmallow creme on hand this time (I tried substituting marshmallows in one recipe and that was a whole other mess).  But the frosting seemed a bit too sugary (2 pounds of powdered sugar for 2 dozen cupcakes?!) for my taste, but I need not have worried, I never got that far!

First I had no yellow cake mix but figured a white one would do.  Then my timer didn't start, rather I reset the clock instead, so they got a little more done than I would like but still edible and I must say the cake was very fluffy and moist and very, very fragile.  I used silicone muffin cups to bake mine in and they were a sad mess by the time I finished getting them out (note to self, cooking spray!).  So I had a pile of the homeliest cupcakes you've ever seen and there is no way the poor things would handle either frosting or filling in that state.  So I did what any self respecting home cook would do in such a circumstance (no I did not eat the evidence, at least not all of it!): I made lemonade (metaphorical lemonade, you know...when life hands you lemons?).  I cut them in half and lined the bottom of a large plastic container (with a lid) with cupcakes, topped them with the filling, and then the other half of the cupcakes.  Atop this, instead of the super-sweet frosting in the recipe, I substituted this one made from boxed pudding and whipped topping (though I only used the four serving box as it was what I had).  I then stuck the whole thing in the fridge and can't wait to try it tonight for supper, I mean after supper...it was wonderful, will definitely make again!  May all your disasters turn out as sweet as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment