No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Criscuits anyone? A Gluten free cross between a croissant and a buttermilk biscuit

 I hate words like 'ginormous' which takes two perfectly sound words that mean the same thing to make a ridiculous word that doesn't improve the dialect by a wit.  But I don't know what to call this culinary concoction, I saw something on Pinterest about a 'cruffin' so why not a criscuit?  I've been playing with a gluten-free croissant recipe lately and this was my third attempt, the first time I left out 1/4 cup flour by bad math but they turned out delicious if ugly.  The second time I did everything as directed and came up with something edible but starchy, grainy, and dry, the first attempt was far superior, than the 'typical' gluten free baked good I ended up with.  I was also craving a nice, flakey buttermilk biscuit and wondering if this recipe could be adapted to both suit that purpose and make rolling out the dough a little less disastrous.  Today I think I found just the thing!  I wanted a batter style dough, think thick cake batter, but which is difficult to layer butter in and roll into the proper shape, but this worked out okay.  The result was flaky and golden brown and not hideous at all and totally wonderful, even the gluten-loving husband thought they were good (high praise!).  I used vegetable shortening since I can't have butter and margarine won't work for a proper croissant, but butter or lard should work, I think coconut oil might suffer the same problems as margarine (too soft at room temp) but feel free to try.

2 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used 3/4 cup tapioca, 3/4 cup corn starch, and 1/4 cup each millet, brown rice, and oat flour)

1.5 tsp xanthin gum

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp shortening and 1/4 cup oil

2 eggs

1/2 cup water (can use milk)

1 tsp instant yeast

Mix everything in a sturdy mixer or bread machine until well blended, cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes in a warm moist place.  Spread on a piece of plastic wrap or a silicon baking mat into a layer about 1/4 inch thick.  Combine 1/2 cup shortening with 1/3 cup gluten free flour mix (1/2 flour and 1/2 starch) and spread on 2/3 of the dough, leaving the top 1/3 empty.  Fold the empty layer over the middle section and top with the bottom (like folding croissants), sealing the seem and end.  Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours or the freezer for an hour.  Using your fingers and the plastic wrap, spread the lump of dough out until it is about an inch thick, divide into 12 sections with a silicon spatula.  Shape each section into a bun shape with wet hands and place on a greased baking sheet.  Place in a 385 degree oven until golden brown and cool covered on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment