No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Borne in vain

I stood there staring at the test, it was negative.  I was 95% sure of my diagnosis yet the test said otherwise.  Was I crazy?  Or suffering from some strange disease?  Was the test wrong?  Dogs can have a pseudopregnancy but I had never heard of the condition in humans, unless you count the strange symptoms some men have when their wives are expecting (a sympathetic pregnancy), but my husband isn't pregnant.  And for that matter, neither was I.  That sent me into the dangerous wilds of internet health research (every medical text I own does not cover the human species).  I wasn't crazy nor suffering a new type of flu or inventing my symptoms, instead my hormones are going nuts as my body tries to readjust itself to life without birth control.  Yes this is too much information, but I hope it might be useful to others experiencing the same thing.  It is strange how widely used these drugs are yet no one talks about the possible effects once you come off them.  Some women actually experience symptoms similar to those of early pregnancy (morning sickness, yay!).  I don't mind being miserable for a few months for the sake of my children, but it is no fun at all when it is only hormonal fireworks.  So if you have quit the pill in the last few months and are now tired, nauseous, bloated, moody, etc., with a late or missing period, it may be the missing birth control rather than early pregnancy (it still might be an early pregnancy though so make sure to take care of yourself and your child just in case).  I can find information on the side effects of the drug itself but there is scarcely anything out there on what happens when you discontinue the drug, you have to do a very specific search to find it.  It had never even occurred to me that that might be the cause of my discomfort until the test made me worry about my sanity!  The sanity is still questionable but my physical condition is now understandable.  Purportedly things eventually settle down but the symptoms can last for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment