No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A carbohydrate love story

Of late we have been studying the Saga of Figgins and though the literary results are questionable, I am quite happy to report that the gastronomical side has been a resounding success.  But I see the epic is still incomplete, we have covered muffins and pancakes but have spoken nary a word about actual bread!  Dear me, how absolutely dreadful!  My most obsequious apologies are due you, I am sure!

I have found Figgins to be a superb addition to my bread baking repertoire, and no I will not give you a tutorial, there are far better books, videos, and sites for that than this.  The bread is softer, richer, and has a hint of sweetness (yes this is sourdough, strangely enough), which make it nice for light or sweet recipes, not so good for heavy or more sour ones.  I use a basic french recipe (water, salt, yeast, sugar, flour) and add 2/3 cup starter and 1/4 tsp baking soda for each 4 cups of flour and have had good results (you may need to adjust the liquid or flour a tad to account for the starter and get the right dough consistency).  I also added it to a honey oatmeal bread and it was a nice touch.  If you have a sweet tooth and like white/sweet bread, this is definitely a keeper.  If you are of a more 'serious' taste, you may want to stick with a traditional sourdough culture rather than Figgins.

No comments:

Post a Comment