No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Figgins does Muffins (chocolate chip of course!)

I have a cookbook I have never used, it is more of a relic or an antiquity rather than a useful part of society.  I have used its younger, hipper sister many a time, but this darling still advises donning high heels and pearls before the hubbie gets home after you've spent a full day of cleaning and cooking.  It is a 1950 Better Homes cookbook and while it is fun to look back at the 'way things used to be,' I haven't found it all that helpful in real life.  Until now.  I don't mind the muffin recipe in the modern version, but I haven't been all that excited about it nor have I found one online that has really struck my fancy (after all, life is not worth living without an excellent muffin recipe right?).  So in desperation I dug out my elderly Better Homes and found 'Best-ever Muffins' which I have adapted to using with a sweet sourdough starter and chocolate chips.  The results were actually pretty good.  If you want the original recipe, omit the sourdough starter and milk and use 3/4 cup buttermilk instead, I used chocolate chips but this recipe is infinitely adaptable to blueberries or whatever.

Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp sugar

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sweet sourdough starter (amish friendship bread or Herman)
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients and form a well in the center, set aside.  Mix moist ingredients thoroughly and then add to dry.  Stir just until moistened, adding chocolate chips after a stroke or three.  Fill 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full and bake in a 400 degree oven until golden and poofy.

No comments:

Post a Comment