No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Bold as a naked emperor?

The last time my toes were this color, the nail fell off.  That's a cheery thought, but they aren't blue because they got stepped on, rather they've been painted, and not just a neutral, shy and safe pinkish color, but a metallic midnight blue, that mysterious color of the twilit sky right before it fades to black.  I haven't painted my nails (toe or otherwise) since I got married, and that was nigh on ten years ago, but I'm feeling a little bold and frivolous in my relative old age and when the opportunity came to paint my nails, I went for it (I don't even own nail polish).  The rest of my makeup is all neutral colors, very bland and unexciting, and worn exactly 5 times in my entire life.

I don't know a thing about fashion, I have even been termed 'amish' at times by those who've known me longest, though I'm historically more of the tennis shoe wearing Mennonite lady with the long, drab skirt sans the prayer cap and religious devotion inspiring my wardrobe.  I never dressed up or felt pretty because I wasn't, or at least thought I wasn't.  I joke that my feet are so bad I'd make a farrier faint or that wearing makeup or nice clothes for me is akin to the old saying about putting lipstick on a pig.  But then my son can wear camouflage footie pajamas with red rubber boots and still pull it off.  What am I missing?

I think it is all about attitude.  If you feel like you're nobody and that you look dreadful, even the best clothes will look frumpish on you but if you walk around like the storied emperor in naught but your skin, most of the peasants will gawk and gape at your fabulous ensemble, hardly even noticing you are naked (save glib little boys) and then the reactions of those about you feed back into your sense of awkwardness or pizzazz, reaffirming and snowballing your original attitude and beliefs.

I'm tired of being a frump, I'm not drop dead gorgeous but I'm no orc either.  I've got my unsightly bits and my not so unsightly parts, just like anyone else.  I can wear what I want, when I want, as I want, as long as I am happy with it and am obviously not offending whatever is left of the rules of modesty or the law.  I can wear blue nail polish and not stop traffic, if only I accept it as good and fun and okay, I'm the only one who can make a fool out of me.  I need to ignore the person that told me I'm homely and worthless and embarrassing and the voice she inspired in my own head with similar thoughts, rather I need to remember I am me, I'm unique and beautiful in my own quirky, wonderful way, and who cares what peasants or glib children have to say about it?  I need to be comfortable in my own skin, and once I am, whatever I wear, will look all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment