No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Anachronistic and proud of it!

I've been accused of being Amish since my early teen years, being a lover of hiking boots over heels and long skirts over short shorts; more often to be found slogging through a soggy field in quest of migrant birds than to be doing whatever it was teenage girls did in the '90's (talk on the phone?).  I'm not sure what my predilections had to do with the Amish Community or their habits/lifestyle, save perhaps a shared dislike of certain modern affectations, but I might as well be called a Victorian or a citizen of Ancient Rome by that standard.  I'm slowly learning the difference between fashion and style, fashion being what the world values at the moment while style is your own personal taste, preference, personality, and flair.  Growing up, I was told so often what I couldn't/shouldn't do and be that I didn't even try, no one ever told me what I could do or be, or even that I could be something but a drab, homely, colorless disappointment, that it was okay to be myself.  I tried so hard to be what others thought I should and still disappointed them that I thought myself worthless and hopeless as a person.

I've learned differently since then.  And I'm not Amish, I'm not sure if you can classify me, an enigma  perhaps?  For example I've always envied Lydia Bennet (from the 5 hour Colin Firth 'Pride and Prejudice') a certain straw bonnet (the only thing I envy Lydia Bennet!).  In the scene with the girls walking along while Wickham is ahorseback, I think she has the nicest hat!  And I repeat, I am not Amish!!!  I'm not a prude or a stickler for women always having their heads covered, but rather I miss the days of socially acceptable, flattering, feminine headwear that keeps the sun off your face.  I own any number of floppy hats and ball caps and wear them hither and yon, but I have nothing for dressy occasions.  I abhor outdoor weddings, as I'm bound to end with a migraine.  But I found that bonnet, or something similar enough, recently that I went and bought it.  And it is adorable, not elegant or fashionable, but cute and fun and yes, functional!  Even my husband went so far as to say, 'it isn't my favorite fashion-wise, but on you it fits and is so much fun!'  That's high praise indeed!

I'm learning to love myself, to enjoy my quirks and whimsy, to be who I am, not trying to mold myself into a shape not my own.  The people that weren't happy with me before will never be happy with me, no matter how I mutilate and distort myself for their benefit, and doing so only makes me miserable, so I might as well be me, even if I have a dubious love of Regency head gear!  Though, if my siblings ever see my hat, I'll be accused of being more Amish than ever!  At least I'm not yearning after togas or powdered wigs...

Update: I just ran across this little delightful blurb whilst reading 'Pride and Prejudice': 'That she should have walked three miles so early in the day, in such dirty weather, and by herself was almost incredible..."  Nope, I'm not Amish, apparently there were ladies thus afflicted 200 years ago, and probably well before that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment