No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Crescent Rolls!!!

I'm in love again, yep, my cast iron crush has given way to my infatuation with seasonal baking and what says 'Happy Holidays' like crescent rolls?  Thanksgiving, Christmas, midnight snack after feeding the baby...they're good anytime, but finding a descent recipe seems nigh unto impossible, until now!  I've tried, I really have, I'm so desperate to emulate the scary concoction that comes in the little tubes at the grocery store made out of things only pronounceable to an organic chemist that for some reason taste so good (in all their fake buttery glory) and come out so light and layered and fluffy, I just can't make a decent copy without resorting to the time consuming croissant/puff pastry type recipes which are tasty but ridiculously inefficient when you are making dinner for 17 and have 9 kids under the age of 5 all needing something NOW!

I've tried all the 'crescent roll' recipes in every church cookbook owned by myself or relatives back to great grandmas on either side.  I've exhausted Betty Crocker and her ilk all to no avail.  Yes, the rolls are buttery and have a nice flavor but they don't have the fluffy, layers from the 100% laboratory produced specimens.  Then I found this recipe.  They are easy, quick, and amazing!  Okay, when I say quick, I mean they are quick to come together but they need to sit overnight or for a couple days in the fridge so you need to plan ahead but otherwise they are amazing; you can also bake them and freeze them for future use.  You really do get light and fluffy and delicious!

I also used margarine instead of butter (cheapskate!) and as I didn't have evaporated milk I thought I'd boil some regular milk down and make my own, only to realize you also add water to the recipe, which made me wonder why on earth I was boiling down milk to make evaporated milk and then adding water back into the recipe, why not just use regular milk and be done with it?  So I skipped both the water and the evaporated milk and substituted straight milk for both (1 3/4 cups total I think).  Also, you want to keep your dough cold like you're making croissants or puff pastry otherwise it is a sticky mess.  When you divide it in quarters to roll it out, keep the unused quarters in the fridge until you are actually rolling them out.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment