No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

On trendy workouts and the dreams of little girls

I took a dance class when I was five and the most memorable part of the whole experience?  The Dr. Seuss bookmark we received as a parting gift of course...I don't think I'll ever live long enough to understand five year olds, even having been one and now owning one...maybe with the grandkids?  The great grandkids?  Oh well, back to the topic at hand, I was reading this article and though not particularly interested in the 'body image within ballet' topic of the article, there was an undercurrent of ballet's influence on modern culture that was very intriguing, including the mention of something called Barre.  Apparently it's a rather popular workout trend incorporating some of the aspects of ballet into the routine (yes, it's been popular for a couple years, but I live 80 miles from the nearest gym and several thousand miles from either coast!).  I've already developed a pointless affectation for floaty-twirly skirts and would love to sport the updos (though am grievously lacking in the hair required to do so) so why not look into a little of the physical training aspect of the discipline that I can possibly do at home (again, no gym or ballet studio for an obscene count of miles!).  So of course I googled it and found this article that has links to 7 different workouts and I chose one just to see what happened.

I am not coordinated enough for group activities like aerobics nor do I have the endurance for prolonged high energy output.  Combine that with shaky joints that like to hyper-extend and parts that don't stay in place (like knee caps!) and finding an exercise routine that will keep me interested, motivated, that I can do at home, and that doesn't kill me physically sounds like an impossibility, but I've been doing the workout I chose for 40 minutes a day 3 days a week and still look forward to my next class.  I really like that it works on building core strength and balance but also gives you the option of an aerobic workout if you're up for it; you can also modify the moves so they are more accessible to your physical needs and fitness level.  I will never audition for Swan Lake, but I've really enjoyed exploring this current 'fad' in fitness routines and more importantly, it gets me moving, keeps me moving, and motivated and that's a very good thing, especially with Christmas cookie season looming!

No comments:

Post a Comment