No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Epic Gardening

In honor of the season, we'll go retro and look back at why I don't raise veggies:

The Egyptians got locusts, the Irish had blight, I get a haybine (for all you city people, just think of it as a giant lawn mower).  Of all the gardening disasters, this really wasn't something I had anticipated.  Weeds, drought, disease, bugs, deer, rabbits, okay, those are foreseeable garden annoyances.  Someone turning your sweetcorn into silage, not so much.  Our house has hayfield on three sides and the previous residents had a little garden out back on the edge of one, so that is where we stuck ours, except technically we don't own the property so the owner was well within his rights to mow hay right through my vegetable patch, I'm not sure he even realized it was there!

I'm actually very amused by the whole ordeal, I was not meant to have a vegetable garden and this just proves it!  And now I don't have to weed and water the rest of the summer for hardly any return.  The deer had trampled my poor peppers, my squash never came up, and the rabbits were slowly decimating my corn (like beavers!).  The potatoes were doing well, but as I had less than $1 invested in seed potatoes it is not a staggering loss.  I was getting rather grouchy with those silly bunnies though, every night I would have one less corn plant and it was horrible watching it die slowly, much better to have the whole thing done with in one fell swoop!  It is almost revenge on those atrocious rabbits…mwuhaa haa haa…yes that was evil laughter.  I think I'll stick with flowers from here on out or maybe try a few peppers in containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment