No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Malpractice of the soul

Wow, was this a timely article!  I just got my lab results back for a food sensitivity test and sat through the follow-up visit, it was dreadful.  The vet world is filled with articles on making practices more friendly for cats.  Why are human doctors so intent on making their patients feel like dirt?  I have never liked going to the doctor and I was still trying to figure out why.  I'm fine taking the kids, but when I'm the patient I have literally had panic attacks for no apparently good reason.  I think I begin to understand: they dehumanize you.  You are a number, a symptom, a dollar sign, nobody cares about you or your pathetic life, just make sure your numbers are good.  Yes, there are good doctors and nurses and staff out there, please forgive this diatribe, I know you are doing your best swimming against the current of modern medical practice, this is not about you; I am truly grateful to those of you that treat your patients like people, thank you!  Time and time again, at many different facilities and check-ups and procedures it has been the same.

Like the author of the above article, I was met with a grim doctor and his list of things I did wrong.  There was no concern about the possible underlying issues associated with this condition, say a lifetime of abuse and stress and a certain medication that had triggered it, and addressing that as well, nope, it was just 'here's a list of the supplements you'd better take and the food you need to avoid,' next!  But, but...nope, that's it just change everything about your lifestyle or you're a hopeless, useless jerk and it's your own fault.  Okay...walking dejectedly out the door feeling sort of 24601-ish, cue the music.  Did I mention the time I had a concussion and was walking dazedly about the parking lot in a large medical complex in the dead of winter after being told by 3 different departments that somebody else would deal with me?  Or how about the time it took me 6 months to fix a $100 coding error?  Or when they called me in a panic to say my cholesterol was high after I had been telling them that for weeks?  I can't wait until we get socialized medicine here in the states...just imagine your last visit to the social security office or the DMV or the IRS, and you still want socialized medicine?

No comments:

Post a Comment