No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Misguided Idealists

It was pitch dark outside, a car pulled into the driveway, and then the doorbell rang.  Without stood four looming creatures, draped in black with leering faces and bloody lips.  It wasn't Halloween.  For a moment I thought they were filming one of those bad horror movies or perhaps we had fallen into one. Then they asked for canned goods for the local food shelf.

I applaud those willing to be a little silly for charity.  I support our local food shelf.  I do not appreciate strange beings looming unanticipated out of the darkness and horrifying my toddler in the name of good will.  In fact, it makes me rather disinclined to be charitable.  But yes, I did support our local food bank, I cannot fault them for the lack of forethought on the part of their ambassadors (and it would speed these fell beings on their way).

The sad part is, these 'kids' were simply out on a lark, doing something to help others, and probably had no idea that their attire or unanticipated night for donning it was in any way disagreeable.  I appreciate their community spirit but not their means of going about it.  I am a little archaic in that I don't watch horror movies or even go near the 'halloween' section at the local variety store, it is all a little too creepy for me, but to these 'kids,' it is all perfectly acceptable and even 'cool,' can I still use that word?  No wonder people accuse me of being amish!

If you must go forth in all your horrid glory, do it on the approved night when such appearances are anticipated and damage to unwitting underlings can be mitigated.  Otherwise try wearing something less evil looking if you must invade storytime, it may even make us grumpy mama bears more generous.  Besides, it is hardly logical, which is perhaps even more disturbing.  I have never heard of demonic creatures going door to door in the name of charity, nor do the undead collect blood, brains, or assorted gore to assist the less fortunate among them.

That sounds like an interesting doctoral study for a sociology grad student: effect of costume choice on the generosity of local residents during collection of donated canned goods.  At least they were not clad as clowns!


No comments:

Post a Comment