No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Here there be dragons: How to save $177.36 on a wood mounted map.

I am not a crafting genius or even a person that goes out looking for 'projects,' but when my husband came home after seeing a wood mounted map somewhere and mentions he would like to own one, but google prices them around $197.36, part of me wonders if I can make one myself.  So was this project born.  We have a rather expensive map of historic Bavaria we brought home from Germany a few years ago that I have yet to do anything with, this might be a good option but not as the guinea pig.  I found a $5 map on ebay: a double globe reprint from a 1700's original on parchment looking paper to try this crazy experiment on.

I've never 'mod podged' anything in my life but this seemed like a good time to start.  Now to find a base.  The map was 20x24" approximately, I wanted a wooden base but didn't want to spend a fortune, I own no wood working tools fancier than a hammer, and haven't a clue when it comes to such things.  Perusing a big box hardware store website for ideas, I ran across something called 'car siding' which seemed like it might work, as it was tongue and groove and comes in a variety of sizes.  I went to the local hardware store and they cut me 5 pieces that were two feet long and each was 4" wide after connecting the tongue and groove.  A little wood glue and I had my base, but it was raw, fresh pine, not exactly a great base for an old map.




A little more googling and I found a method to 'age' wood using vinegar and steel wool, but either I was too impatient or didn't do it right because I didn't have much luck with it; the vinegar mixture probably just needs to age a bit, something I was not patient enough to wait for.  Instead I found some old stain in the basement labeled 'dark walnut' and did a light coat of that, perfect!  My boards looked as old as my map.  The map was slightly too large so I trimmed off the excess but it looked a little tacky and uneven, what about singeing the edges?  I took a candle (the kind you use on birthday cakes) and held the flame to the poster edges, blowing out the flame if it got a little too frisky.  It gave me a very authentic and interesting looking edge.  I mod-podged the map onto the base and then applied another coat on top.  Once dry, I put two layers of polycrylic over that and attached a couple picture frame hangers on the back, voila!  There are a few wrinkles, but that adds to the character and interest of the piece (or so I tell myself, perhaps my mod-podging needs some work), but overall I'm very happy with it.  Now to find someone to pay me $200 for it!

Update: Most of the wrinkles actually work themselves out as the map dries, I am very happy with the finished product.  I even risked our 'expensive' map in a similar process.  I tried the steel wool/vinegar combination again (after it sat for a week or more) and it was much better, it gave the pine an almost reddish tinge, but I still like it in combination with the walnut stain (versus either alone).  Definitely an interesting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment