No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times?

I don't know what's gotten into me lately, when I was a kid, I was a little crafty, but lately I think I'm having some sort of mid-life craft crisis.  It started with refinishing a couple dressers, then mounting a map on some wood, then I found an old wind up clock at a thrift store, my latest venture is truly weird: car repair.  Well, not so much car repair per se but rather figuring out how to fix a broken seat belt.  Maybe it is some sort of weird variant of 'nesting behavior?'  Last time we were on an adoption wait list I redid the nursery (office/library/spare bedroom…) about four times before our son came home.  This time I'm fixing clocks and replacing seat belts?

Anywho, the latch part on one of our belts in the back seat of our ancient sedan was broken and as kids are not allowed into the front seat until they are legally of drinking age, I thought it might be a good idea to get it fixed before we have another car seat to deal with.  Ordering a new part was rather expensive, but after watching a video online, I had an idea.  We had a middle seat belt in the front and I don't think we've ever used it, why not just switch out the unused latch for the broken one?  I even tested it on the front side belts to make sure it matched, and we were in luck.  After a ton of messing around, dismantling my car, praying everything went back together in a safe and usable fashion, and futzing around with rusted bolts, etc, we finally got the belts switched around, only to discover the back side belts don't fit in that particular latch!  The front side belts do, the front middle belt does, and so does the back middle belt but the side ones don't.  No problem, I'll just buy a seat belt extender, that should fix the problem.  Not so much, apparently I own one of the 3% of cars that won't work with the extender, the front and middle belts do though.  At least now I have two latches for the middle belt!  I better stick with clocks...

No comments:

Post a Comment