No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Variations and experimentation with 'Japanese Milk Bread'

I'm addicted, that's all I can say, this bread is so good!  I've tried a few variations with it, just to see what happens.  I used the original recipe for buns, breadsticks, cinnamon rolls, pigs in a blanket, and loaf bread and adapted my regular French bread recipe to use the technique and even made a batch of oatmeal muffins with it.  I'd like to try adding sourdough starter but haven't had the chance as mine is still fermenting.

The results:

Rolls/Buns: absolutely fabulous and likely the best bread I ever made.  We had company and the entire 2 dozen rolls (2 batches) vanished (usually I have a couple left over dinner rolls from a batch of 12!).

Loaf: I don't do so well with actual loaves of bread (save French style), I never seem to get them cooked through in the middle without over cooking the outside so I am not the best judge of this aspect.  Despite greasing the pan, the loaf was determined to stick (I'd like to try a silicone loaf pan, the muffin cups work great for the rolls).  The bread itself was excellent but the crust was very thick (likely my inefficiency at loaf baking).  A good prospect for proficient loaf bakers.

Breadsticks: not very substantial, I'll stick with my usual French bread recipe, breadsticks aren't supposed to be light and fluffy.

Cinnamon rolls: not much flavor, didn't get as fluffy as the dinner rolls (used the traditional cinnamon roll technique rather than the more involved folding and shaping of the dinner rolls), I much prefer my sourdough recipe.

Pigs in a blanket: these are actually a nice substitute for that canned crescent roll dough, at least if you don't mind foregoing that 'fake butter' flavor, ugh!

French bread: I adapted my usual French bread recipe to use this technique (just water, salt, yeast, sugar, and flour).  Being the chemistry geek that I am, I did the math and converted the recipe.  The crust was definitely softer but the loaves were rather ugly and the crumb softer but otherwise I didn't notice much difference and don't think I'll do it again.

Oatmeal muffins: yes, I made a 'quick bread' with this method.  It was a rather strange result, good but certainly different; I'm not sure how to describe the texture, it wasn't very muffin like, cake like, or yeast bread like, the closest I've ever made previously was one of those 'no knead' yeast breads.  They were very moist and tasty, just not your typical muffin.  I wonder what brownies or cake would be like?

I think I'll stick with the buns, but it is certainly fun to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment