No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The day the wonder (bread) died

I once had some bread, I don't even remember where, but I've been looking for the recipe or technique ever since but thus far have been thwarted in my efforts.  It was so soft and fluffy and the loaf pulled apart without being sliced.  I may have finally found it.  The other day I ran across a recipe for 'Japanese Milk Bread, and since the pictures looked amazing, I thought I'd give it a try.  And unlike almost every other recipe I've ever tried, it was as good as the picture looked.  I searched the internet, looked at several different recipes, and then combined them to see what happened and it was the fluffiest, softest, prettiest bread I've ever made, perhaps a little bland, but the texture was amazing.  Then I thought it would make great cinnamon rolls, they weren't bad, but my sourdough recipe is better (apparently the elaborate shaping involved in this sort of bread is actually functional!).  I'm still playing with the recipe/technique but it really does make the fluffiest, softest bread and it stays soft for several days.  It is a very interesting technique and I think I'll try it with my other bread recipes.

Update: here's a great article on the science behind the tangzhong method of bread making, for all you chemistry geeks out there.

To make rolls:

In a microwave safe mug combine 2 tbsp flour with 6 tbsp water, microwave on high until thickened (35 seconds in mine).  Pour into bread machine pan and add 1 egg, 1/2 cup warm milk, 1 tsp salt and 2 3/4 cup flour and a tsp of instant yeast.  Run on dough cycle and add 2 tbsp of cold butter once the other ingredients are well combined.  Remove after the second knead cycle and let rest for 10 minutes.  Divide into 12 balls, rolling each into a long oval.  Fold in one long side and then top with the other then roll up like a jelly roll (spiral from the short end) and place seam side down (spirals on either side) in a greased cake pan for dinner rolls or a separate on a cookie sheet for buns.  Repeat with other balls and let rise until double.  Brush with milk, oil, or butter just before baking.  Bake until set in middle and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment