No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The peculiar hobbies of the freakishly frugal

I'm not sure how I fell into it, but it seems I have developed something of an obsession with revamping old lampshades.  That was exciting, wasn't it?  Probably not.  New they can set you back a good $15-20 or maybe more, depending on size and trendiness.  But you may have several shabby or unprepossessing specimens lurking about the house or find a couple at the local thrift store or the neighbor's yard sale for pennies.  There is a vast array of sizes, shapes, materials, colors, and construction so it useless to try and give an overview here but a quick search on Google or Pinterest will yield an overwhelming assortment of ideas to get you started.  But there is minimal skill or equipment required for many ideas: a hot glue gun, spray adhesive, mod podge or a little paint, an old t-shirt or some scraps of paper or lace or ribbons or even buttons.  You can paint them, recover with a material of your choice, or even mod podge something over top.

I had a very unexciting specimen (my first attempt): an off-white ruffled thing, full of dust; it had a cracked plastic base thanks to a certain two-year old and I figured it was done for.  I ripped off the cloth cover, stabilized the cracks with clear packing tape, and recovered it with a bit of fabric and spray adhesive and it looks great.  I didn't want to go out and buy something to cover it, so I tried to use something from around the house but couldn't find anything to fit my fancy (or my living room) that I wanted to part with.  I had an old table cloth (white) from my grandmother (not an heirloom, just something she didn't want but couldn't throw out so she figured I needed it) that had a nice textured floral pattern but I didn't want another whitish lampshade.  The walls are white, the carpet beige, do I really need more colorless neutral tones?  Of course I would dye the silly thing, because that is what every sensible person thinks of in cases like these, right?  Actually I had a jar of 'instant rust' left over from a wood aging project (basically vinegar and steel wool in a jar) and as I knew rust was a horrible stain, could I use it to somehow banish that horrid whiteness from my tablecloth?  I googled it and apparently you can (so now I'm naturally dyeing fabrics as well as revamping lamp shades, who knew I was this creative?!...I'm not, it just looks that way).  It came out a nice dark coral-ish color (and happily a few shades lighter than the dried blood shade it could have been).

You don't need to do anything that lavish, I just used what I had lying around the house and it was fun just to try different things.  It can update your decor rather inexpensively and who knows, you may discover a hobby of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment