No!!!

Yes, (evil laughter), another Mommy Blog (more evil laughter)!!! Life is a story, mine at the moment just happens to occur mostly at home, which means no sword fights or dragons, but plenty of peril, misadventure, and food. Like all good stories we will skip the boring parts (like laundry). So gird up your loins and let us commence with some real domestic adventures; don't forget your sense of humor.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Behold the mighty…stick?

My plants finally came in the mail, though we are currently in the middle of the biggest snow storm of the year, which isn't saying much, but I am thus stuck inside still waiting for spring.  We lost a big cottonwood tree to lightning a few years back and I wanted something to replace it, the nursery catalog had a Dawn Redwood tree that was supposed to grow well in all soils and climates and to grow 3-6' per year so I ordered one.  These trees are cousins of the sequoias of California fame and were thought extinct until someone ran across a small stand in China back in the 1940's.  They used to grow here, at least that's what the fossil guys say, we have plenty of petrified wood and much of it is supposed to come from this species, the only problem is they apparently don't like drought, which may be why they don't grow here any more.  This is very arid country in a normal year and I don't plan on watering this thing for the next fifty years so it won't be our new shade tree.  What I didn't expect was to get a stick.

I had found all the other plants I ordered but couldn't find the mighty dawn redwood in my order, but finally I found a stick with a label on it, yes a literal stick with a few roots and no branches or anything, just a stick.  I decided to try my hand at growing a bonsai again, I had dabbled with it back in high school, and as I have this interesting, otherwise useless, tree (or stick) why not?  So I stuck it in a pot, and it like me, is patiently awaiting the advent of spring when we can both get outside and hopefully become something more interesting than a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment